Mushroom Barley Soup

It seems like I’ve had this recipe in my “try-it” file forever…it didn’t even have an indication of where I got it.  But I should have made it sooner…it’s wonderfully flavorful.   I knew I was going to be busy around lunchtime, so I made it through step 5; refrigerated the components, and right before our meal I added the mushroom mixture to the soup and reheated them together. 
When we got home before lunch you could smell the deglazed mushrooms and onions, and we were eager to get this to the table.  It tasted as good as it smelled.  
I used Lea and Perrins Chicken Marinade that they used to sell as “white” Worcestershire; it adds just the right flavor.   If you have a mixture of “fancy” mushrooms; this would be a good place to use them.  If you don’t have sherry, use a little white wine or balsamic or wine vinegar to deglaze the pan.    Use rice if you don’t have or don’t like barley, but you’re missing something if you don’t use barley.        
Mushroom Barley Soup
  8        ounces  Fresh Mushrooms -- sliced
     1/3 Cup  Onion -- chopped
  4        tablespoons  Butter -- divided
  2        tablespoons  Flour, All-purpose
  1        cup  Skim Milk
  2        cups  Chicken Broth (I used a pint of home-canned)
     1/4 Cup  Barley -- quick cooking
  2        tablespoons  Dried Parsley
  1        tablespoon  Sherry
  1        teaspoon  Worcestershire Sauce

1.    1.        In a saucepan or Dutch oven, cook mushrooms and onion in half of butter until onion is tender.  Deglaze pan with sherry.
2.      With slotted spoon remove mushrooms and onion; set aside. Add remaining butter to pan.
3.      Stir flour into melted butter; continue cooking over medium heat until flour is browned, stirring constantly.
4.      Gradually stir in milk and chicken broth; add remaining ingredients.
5.      Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally. 
6.      Add mushroom and onion mixture, heat additional 5 minutes.
7.      Add additional water or milk if soup becomes too thick upon standing.
4 Servings
$2.47 or 62¢ per serving
Yield:  "4 Cups"

Per Serving: 224 Calories; 13g Fat (51.4% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 550mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds good! I love barley! I have been absent from commenting because my comments continually disappear. So frustrating! I do read & enjoy your postings daily though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadine...glad to hear from you again. You'll like this soup if you like barley like we do.

      Delete
  2. Ladies, I adore your blog and now I adore YOU ! I never knew you had me on your blog list; I just noticed it. Actually, I never even knew you had a blog list. Thank you ! XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you...our family originated in Colmar. My husband and I spent 5 years living in Europe and our granddaughter spent a year in France last year...we love it.
      We miss the wonderful food and ambiance.
      Sue

      Delete
  3. Great soup.
    I like that you also have substitutions, what to use in place of sherry etc.
    Thanks
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.